Sunday, November 17, 2013

Introducing My Sketchbook Art

I have always been a creative person. I'm the one who would come up with wildly whimsical stories of far off lands filled with giants, ghosties, and other mystical creatures. I've always leaned more towards creative writing as my main creative outlet. Creative writing gave my inner artist a voice. Plus, I love creating beautiful things. And what could be more beautiful than a world that knows no bounds? I have always been very adamant about one particular thing, I can't draw. It was like my mantra. I would politely dismiss anything positive anyone had to say about my art; because, I didn't think that it was possible that I could make something like that. By that time, I had instilled the idea that I couldn't draw (no, not even stick figures) so deeply into my head that this toxic mantra became my reality. There was a little voice inside of me that was screaming at me to get out of my artist slump and just try to draw something. Anything. A line, a dot, anything. Just spill the worlds that I write about out on a sheet of paper for everyone to see. 

It wasn't easy, but I'm happy to say that I swallowed that fear. I went for it because I had nothing else to lose. If I failed miserably at drawing, well, at least I tried. But if by some miraculous event, I was good at it.. I never really got past that thought. I just kept pushing to practice more and understand how to create realistic, picture-like drawings. 

Image C/O Lara Kern
I haven't quite gotten the grasp of the whole realistic drawings, but I know that it will come with more practice. I'm certainly not where I want to be, but I am a lot farther along than I was. Sometimes something I want to draw turns into a complete disaster. But, I do learn from my mistakes. And besides, I can draw a mean doodle.
Image C/O Lara Kern
Image C/O Lara Kern
Image C/O Lara Kern

I plan on sharing an assortment of my work here. Hopefully, sharing my work will give me more encouragement to continue practicing and growing as an artist.
I've been experimenting with a bunch of different drawing mediums. Mostly, I'm working with watercolors and ink. I will throw in the occasional pencil sketch. If anyone has any comments, questions, or stories about their own artistic journey, please feel free to share in the comment box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...