Thursday, January 30, 2014

Cooking Tips and Tricks

Image C/O PhotoPin {1}

Cooking Tips and Tricks to Make Cooking Simple

Cooking can be a great way to relieve stress. Plus, the results of cooking are pretty yummy. Typically, my husband cooks and I clean, but on the rare occasion I can whip something fantastic up with little to no effort. I did work in a fancy-smacy cafe for almost a year; so, I picked up a couple of cooking tips to make cooking easier and more fruitful.

My mom is a great southern cook, and a lot of my skills do come from her. Oddly, I can't stand the smell of meats cooking. That's why I make my husband do a lot of the cooking. I make great vegetables, rice, and Italian foods.

1. Keep your knives sharpened. 

It really depends on how much you use each specific knife. Typically, I will sharpen all of my knives once per year. Also, never, ever put your good knives in the dishwasher. The intensely hot water will eventually warp the blades.

2. Never bake with cold dairy and eggs.

Using dairy products or eggs that have just come out of the fridge creates dense cakes, pastries, and baked goods. Using room temperature eggs and dairy products creates fluffier baked goods. Try this, take your eggs and milk out of the fridge before you begin. Go ahead a start your prep while the eggs and milk warm up.

3. Never cut meat right after you take it out of the oven.

Cutting meat right after it is taken out of the oven will squeeze all of the juices out of the meat. Instead of juicy, delicious turkey you will be left with dry, terrible turkey.

4. Use the right size cutting board for the job you are doing.

Using a cutting board that is too small will increase the risk of cutting yourself. Using a cutting board that is too large is just a big mess to clean up. Try to always pick the cutting board that is just right for the job you are doing.

5.Adding spices, such as, garlic too early can be a serious rookie mistake.

Everyone has done it from time to time, we all get super cooking happy and want to toss in meat, vegetables, spices, and everything else into your pan. Taking your time and making sure that everything is well cooked before you add your spices will make everything taste so much better.

Have questions?

Feel free to leave any questions or comments below.

Want to see something?

If you want to see something or need an organizing solution, feel free to email Methodical Living here.

2 comments:

  1. These are good tips! Especially the one about cutting meat just after taking it off the heat! You lose all the goodness and remaining cooking time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, thanks! Yes, meat should definitely be left to cool for a bit before cutting. Its funny because I use to hate to cook! Since I've worked in a bistro I don't really mind cooking anymore!
      -Lara

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...