Thursday, February 20, 2014

Five Ways on How to Get More Creative

how to get more creative

Are you lacking inspiration?

Have you tried everything to get your creative juices flowing?

Well, I know exactly how you feel.


Creativity can be elusive 

Inspiration can become quite elusive at times, especially, times of stress. Coming up with unique ideas can be a very monotonous task, and it requires a lot of perseverance. I've been struggling lately with finding inspiration for my creative writing. I've tried everything to get myself inspired and creating again.

When I say that I've tried everything I mean it, I've tried everything from meditating to creating diagrams.
Typically, I will find inspiration from the music, books, movies, and art that I encounter every day. I try to draw inspiration from my friends and family too, especially for little quirks for my fictitious characters.

Sometimes when I get stuck, I try to combine two unlikely ideas and see where that will take me.
Lately, I've been tinkering in sketching and painting to help me come up with ideas for short stories. So, far dabbling in different creative mediums has seemed to do me a world of good. I've been able to see the world in a completely different light. Typically I would just see whatever is in front of me, but now I see simple shapes that are combined to form more intrigue forms. Below, I've listed five ways on how to get more creative.

Five Ways on How to Get More Creative

Image C/O PhotoPin {1}

1. Exercise

Exercising is great for you and your creative process! Exercising releases all sorts of endorphins, clears your mind, and is just great for you. If you need a change of scenery, try to go for a walk outside. For me, just taking in new scenery and being in nature recharges my batteries and gives me new ideas.

Image C/O PhotoPin {1}

2. Try a different type of art

Getting outside of your usual art can expand your thoughts. Do you write? Trying drawing. Do you play an instrument? Try writing. Just do something that you normally don't do. For example, I'm a writer at heart and always have been, but I like to draw to step out of my comfort zone. Actually, drawing was taboo for me until a couple of years ago. Really trying to step outside of my comfort zone forced me to embrace a different type of art that I normally would never have done.

Image C/O PhotoPin {1}

3. Meditate

Meditating is a great way to get your mind right, straighten out your thoughts, focus, and clear your mind of any worries that you have. In addition, meditation can help you to quiet yourself and really dig down deep to the real essence of your being. Meditate to learn how to not sweat the small stuff in life, and really get your creative juices flowing!

Image C/O PhotoPin {1}

4. Get out of your routine

Getting out of your normal routine can be just what the creative doctor ordered. The same old same old can become monotonous and stifle any hope that you have of creativity. Simply changing up your morning coffee for a steaming cup of tea can do wonders for your creative process. If you find that you're just stuck, try to get up and going for a walk or playing with a beloved pet.

Image C/O PhotoPin {1}

5. Be prepared

Creativity can strike at anytime; so, always be prepared. If you're anything like me, remembering what shirt you put on in the morning can be difficult. So, don't take a chance that you can remember your great ideas. I like to keep a journal and pen/pencil in my purse at all times. On the off chance that I think of an idea for a story, blog post, or picture I can always dig out my journal and jot or sketch out my ideas.

Do you have any tips or questions?

If you would like to share your tips, tricks, or techniques on how to get more creative, leave a comment below!

Questions? Comments?

If you have a problem, question, or comment about Methodical Living feel free to email me here, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Want more?

Do you want more of Methodical Living? Visit Methodical Living's profiles on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

8 comments:

  1. I love this post! I struggle with creativity. Right now I'm working on lesson plans and hit a wall. This post has some great ideas I need to put into practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thank you! I too struggle with creativity. I find that just getting out of my normal routine and normal surroundings does me a world of good!

      -Lara

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love the idea of experimenting with other art mediums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Lissy, branching out to other mediums of art is great, and can be really rewarding! In two years I went from not being able to drawing a straight line to being able to draw eyes, faces, and other things!

      -Lara

      Delete
  3. Lara, I feel like I found a long lost twin who can relate to the struggle with carving out more creativity in my life. :) I am also a writer and have found that it's so much more difficult to write when it's forced. BUT, how can one let our creative juices flow in times where we are stressed? You answered it perfectly. A few of these things are already in the works, other things I am already doing and totally agree that they work...but the other things I haven't tried or thought of yet so THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Torrey Shannon, I've always wanted a twin! I find that creativity strikes me in the strangest places and at the strangest times. I'll be half asleep and BAM! an idea strikes. I hate having to decide if I want to sleep a few more minutes or if I want to write down that idea. I use to keep a pen and journal in my pillow so I wouldn't even have to get up! My favorite tip is trying a different medium of art. I prefer to draw when I'm feeling uninspired!

      -Lara

      Delete
  4. My favorite is trying a new Art form. It ALWAYS gets me going! Thanks for all the great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinna Ashley, I agree with you! Trying a different medium of art can really open your mind to new creative possibilities.

      -Lara

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...