Friday, February 21, 2014

Free Printable Moving Checklist

Sometimes moving is something that is necessary, and great. Your new place may be bigger than the one old, it may be closer to your family, or the new house has some great aspect about it. Sometimes, moving is sad and bitter. Some people are forced to move due to finical reasons, divorce, or some other horrible situation. But no matter what moving is a big job. Plus, moving can be a hassle. Just. One. Big. Hassle. A lot of work goes into packing up everything that you own and relocating.

My Move

The hubby and I moved at the end of December; so, I can still feel the sting of moving. Even though our new place is much larger than our old place there was still a lot of stress involved. I seriously had no idea how much stuff I had accumulated over the past year. It was pretty amazing and all of the little tidbits and knick-knacks that I had stored and hidden throughout the house. I became super stressed just thinking about everything that I had to do, but I got through it. And you can too.

Moving Tips

1. A Packing System is Essential

A packing system is the best way to keep track of your stuff. There are several different systems that you can use. Try writing down everything that you put in a box on a sheet of paper and tape it to the box. Another packing system is to take a picture of the contents of the box and use a numbering system. Personally, I like the idea of taking a picture of the contents and numbering the boxes. It saves time because you will not have to write everything out by hand.

2. Utilities

Everyone needs lights, water, and sometimes gas. Unfortunately, I was unlucky because none of my utilities could be transferred. So, I had to put down major deposits to get everything turned on. If you're lucky, your utilities can simply be transferred to your new place, but if not, do some research and find the specific companies that provide service in your area.

3. Pack a Bag

Moving is hectic and during the week of moving I could barely think, let alone find any clothes in the mess. I packed a bag with the basic essentials. I packed a coupe of outfits, soap, my toothbrush, a hairbrush, and a few other essentials. That way I would not have to worry, and I could have immediate access to anything that I needed when I needed it. I packed a bag like this for my husband as well. If you have multiple people in your family, pack a bag for each family member.

4. Make Sure Everything is Clean

Before you pack your clothes or dishes make sure that they're clean. Yes, you will probably have to rewash your dishes and a few pieces of clothing, but at least you know that everything is clean. Hopefully, if you pack everything correctly, you won't have to clean anything.This just makes moving easier, and less of a hassle once you get to your new place.

5. Groom Your Pets

Before moving your pets make sure that they're clean and free of any bugs or fleas. Your new house should be clean so keep it that way! Before I moved, I washed all three of my dogs, and I also gave them their monthly flea treatment. When they got to the new house, they smelled fresh and clean. I didn't have to worry about them wallowing on the couch or on the carpet and leaving nasty, puppy odors behind.

Printable Moving Checklist

Here is a free moving checklist. It has the big things on it for you to check off, and even a section for notes. To get your own Simply click on the link below, save it to your computer, open it in a document, and print it off!

Grab your own moving checklist here.

Questions? Comments? 

Do you have any moving tips? Feel free to share your personal tips, questions, or comments below in the comment section!

Want More?

Do you want of Methodical Living? Visit Methodical Living's pages on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Lara! Thank you for this!! I am far enough into my packing & the move is close enough that I do not need to print this list. . . BUT, I was starting to freak out a bit! We pack our moving truck on Thursday to move from Washington State to Arizona. THIS post helps me realize that I am right on track! Thank you for that! (And, thank you for the reminder to bathe our mutt! LOL. I may have overlooked that!) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mocha Mama, I'm glad that you could use these tips! Just the idea of moving can seem terrible at times! I hope that all goes well with your move!

      -Lara

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...