Monday, February 24, 2014

How to Stop Using Conversation Fillers


Have you ever wondered why you keep saying umm?
What about like?

Conversation fillers are used when we can't think of what we should say next. Everyone does this at one point,, or another. Its just something that can't be avoided.

But....
If you find yourself using fillers “like” all the time, there are a few things you can do to break yourself of the habit.


A lot of people use fillers in the conversations. But it doesn't have to be that way. I too was like you. I abused the words umm and like on a minute to minute basis. And I'll be honest with you, I hated myself a tiny bit more everytime one of those fillers flew out of my mouth. It just made me sad.

I lived with this affliction every day for seventeen years until I took a communications class in college. The whole point of the class was to teach us how to speak in front of a large crowd. Well, I passed the class but I'm pretty sure that it failed in teaching me the fundamentals because I'm still terrified of standing in front of a small, medium, or large crowd and giving a speech.

On the bright side, the class taught me how to break my habit of using conversation fillers. Some of these tips are a little more practical than the others, but I've tried them all! The most important part is to continue on battling the fillers until you eradicate them completely from your life. And remember that even though you don't sound like Claire from Clueless anymore, you still have to work at it because these pesky conversation fillers can creep back up on you at any time.

Quit Using Conversation Fillers

1. Decide that you want to quit

The first step to quit anything is to want to quit. Make a conscious decision to quit using fillers in your conversations. Write in down in your journal, post in on your fridge, or write it on your hand. Just take that first step to quit this terrible habit.

2. Silence is golden

A lot of people just say whatever comes to their mind, I know that I'm guilty of this. What usually happens is that our brains forget a word or just stop working for a minute then we're left with nothing in the middle of our sentence. So, we fill those pauses with silence or fillers. We're left to fill that silence with fillers until we can process our thoughts. I'm here to say that its okay to have a bit of silence while you're trying to collect your thoughts.

3. Plan out what you're going to say

Instead of just blurting out whatever pops into your head try to plan out your responses. Taking a minute or two to sort through your thoughts can be a great way to get rid of all those pesky fillers.

4. Wear a rubber band and pop yourself when you use a filler

I've done this one so many times its ridiculous. Wear a rubber band and whenever you catch yourself using those irksome filler words give yourself a small pop. This tip works on cognitive behavioral therapy principles. Eventually your brain will associate the small pops with those filler words, and you won't want to use them anymore because they cause you a tiny bit of pain. Be careful not to pop yourself too hard. You don't want to leave bruises or marks. Just a light pop should do the trick.

Questions? Comments? Stories?

Do you have any questions, comments, or stories to share about your battle with conversation fillers? If so, please feel free to leave a comment below!

Want more?

Do you want more of Methodical Living? Visit Methodical Living's profiles on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Ha! I do this ALL the time. I'm a serial "like" user. But more often than not, I'll just call out the awkward silence and laugh about it. It works for me. I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen LaValley, I use like way more than I want to. There was a time where I used no fillers at all, and it was glorious. I need to go back to that!

      -Lara

      Delete
  2. I can complete relate to what you mean about hating yourself when you hear the fillers come out of your mouth! I've picked up habits like this before and they can be so hard to break… especially if you are around others who also do it a lot! I also notice that my kids go through phases where they start doing this, I always try to bring it to their attention and have them resay the sentence minus the filler. I think that the practice of saying something the correct way helps to build the natural "speech" memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie@teachinggoodeaters, that is a great way to break a habit! It really does train the brain the right way to say something. My husband picks up things at work and it rubs off on me! So, I'll start adding "ya know what I'm saying" after pretty much everything, and it kills me a little bit inside. :)

      -Lara

      Delete
  3. So glad I found your blog and read this! I can definitely use these tips! Thanks!

    My story... I am in the media a lot and the pressure to get my words out correctly is huge when you know it's going to a national audience. I catch myself saying "ummm" AFTER it is recorded. I don't realize I am doing it at the very moment I do it. Now people say I have a great presence on camera (I think they are blind, but what do I know?! LOL!) so I try really hard to give myself grace when I see something that isn't as perfect as I wanted it to be. I had an interview with the Huffington Post recently that landed on the front page of AOL as a featured story. The problem? I had my bra strap hanging out the entire time. HAHAH! SO I try to keep a great sense of humor about it. BUT, I know I have plenty of room for improvement but not the concrete ways to make it happen. Thanks for sharing these tips because I think it will really help! I subscribed and will definitely be following your posts. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Torrey Shannon, thank you for subscribing! Wow, I don't think that I could ever be right in the public eye! I'm way to private and self conscious! I freak out when I'm speaking to a crowd of ten people let alone a whole nation! I played piano and cello all throughout school and apparently if you do public performances over 100 times, you will never be anxious again. But, that didn't work for me. I applaud you for doing what you do, and I wish you all the best! I'm sure that all of those little things that we notice is just because its us. Most people probably don't even notice the small things that go wrong. :D

      -Lara

      Delete
  4. I love this post. I'm not shy, but I am an introvert. For the most part my anxiety that comes with being around others has to do with their need for pointless conversation, or "fillers" as you say. I can't do it. I am very comfortable being alongside other people and chatting about legit topics, with comfortable silences in between. I truly believe that all the media in our lives today has numbed people to the point where they become uncomfortable with silence!! It feels awkward, even though it really shouldn't. Not saying this in a judgemental way at all, just the way I've come to view society...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie Worthington, I definitely agree with you! I hate how the media has brainwashed us into believing that discussing the weather or whatever the flavor of the month is, is better than talking about real things. I force my family to talk about literature, different cultures, and science. :)

      -Lara

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...