Friday, January 3, 2014

How to Organize Computer Files

Image C/O PhotoPin {1}


Is your computer feeling sluggish?

In today's technology driven world, we save everything on our computers. These days its quite common to store receipts, important documents, recipes, and pretty much everything else right on our hard drives. Storing so much information can really bog down a computer's performance and make it run slower. If your computer is being sluggish or slow read my top five tips on how to organize computer files.

How to Organize Computer Files


1. Sort through all of your files and delete the files you don't need, want, or think about anymore.

A lot of junk can accumulate in your folders if you never sort through them. It is so easy to just press the save button and never give the document a second glance, but it can really take a toll on the performance of your computer. Honestly, I did this with just my documents, and I was able to delete over 50% of the things that were there.

2. Save the bulk of your documents, photos, and everything else to a SD card, flash drive, or external hard drive.

I try to save all of my photos, music, and documents on separate SD cards. That way, these items are not using any of my memory, but I always have them in case I need them. I'm one of those people that hate to delete a picture, even if I have five pictures of the same thing. You just never know when you might need those pictures. So, storing all of these items on a separate SD card is the best way I have found to be able to keep everything and still have a computer that is as fast as lightening.

3. Delete any duplicate files.

I have so many duplicate photos its pathetic. Somehow when I connect my camera to my laptop, it copies all of the photos, even if I already have the photo saved. This has contributed to my computer's speed being sluggish and sloth-like at times. So, I've started to delete the various photos that are clogging up my computer's hard drive.

4. Take advantage of cloud services, such as, DropBox. 

Cloud services are amazing! I've been using services, such as, Dropbox and Evernote to help me keep track of bookmarks, photos, and pretty much everything else. These services have great apps too; so, you can access your information whenever you need to.

5. Maintain the organization!

Simply deleting a bunch of things and saving items to external locations is not enough. You must go through your computer a few times every month, and make sure that everything you have saved is necessary. Doing this will not only make your computer faster, but it will also simplify your life. You will not have to page through multiple documents, photos, or music files to find the right one.


I hope that everyone enjoyed these tips on how to organize your computer files! If you have any questions, comments, or computer organization tips of your own feel free to share them in the section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...