Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Are Psychological Problems Killing You Getting Organized

Image C/O Hegemony77
Good morning everyone! I'm happy to be posting my last post in the Three Reasons Why You Can't Organize Your Home series. Today's subject is all about how and why psychological problems can kill your organizational efforts. This particular post is near and dear to my heart because unfortunately this topic is the one that usually kills my organizing efforts. I'm one of those people that hold on to sentimental clutter way too much.

I've almost broke myself of this nasty habit but let me tell you its been a long and hard journey for me. And unfortunately I've had to let a lot of items go that serve no purpose at all. Believe me when I say this, it was one of the hardest organizational obstacles I had to overcome. But, I managed to do it and if I can do it anyone can too!

There are so many psychological reasons (or problems) that can stifle our organizational and cleaning efforts. I know that there is a lot of bad vibes related to the combination of the words “psychological” and “problems”. Well, I'm here to say that there is no reason to feel bad if you want to keep all of that clutter out of sentimental reasons or any other psychological reason for that matter. But it can be detrimental to your well being to keep that big old stack of Time magazine so keep that in mind.


Here are some questions to ask yourself to determine if psychological problems are killing your organizational efforts:

Are you constantly muttering to yourself about how you HAVE to get organized?

Do you isolate yourself from others so that you can “get organized?”

Do you constantly come up with different organization systems?

Are you a creative or visual person?

Are you anxious about thinking about your space being clean and organized?


If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, a psychological problem may be killing all of your organizational efforts.


Here are some solutions to the problems listed above:

Are you constantly muttering to yourself about how you HAVE to get organized?

Why its a problem: So, this problem is probably the most obvious of each one that I have listed in this post. Obviously, you know that there is a problem. You acknowledge it and tell yourself too much that you need to get down to work.
How to fix it: There's only one way to fix this problem. Basically, you have to actually just get started. Cut out some time to get your space organized and clean.

Do you isolate yourself from others so that you can “get organized?”

Why its a problem: This problem can be a lonely one. A lot of people use their cluttered home as a way to isolate their selves from other people. They're constantly using the excuse that their space is too cluttered or messy so that no one can come over and hang out.

How to fix it: Realize that its time to get back to reality and meet new people. Make changes slowly. Thoroughly get use to the feeling that one by one your rooms and your home is becoming a place where you can actually retreat. Make sure that your rooms are filled with only the things that you need, use, or absolutely can't live without and love. Embrace this new feeling. And look on the bright side, a clutter free space is a better place to escape reality.

Do you constantly come up with different organization systems?

Why its a problem: Coming up with different organizational systems signals that you do not have clear goals set. Everyone loses some sort of clarity in their life at one point or another, and that is okay. One common pitfall is that people take on too many responsibilities at once. Goals and priorities then get mixed up and can become unclear.

How to fix it: First things first, make sure that you're developing a system that works for you and your goals. Sit down and write out a list of goals you want to get accomplished. Your list could be day to day, for a week, or for a month. Doing whatever works for you is the best idea. Try to prioritize  your goals and set up a system to get the most important goals done.

Are you a creative or visual person?

Why its a problem: This was one of the problems that I constantly ran into before I just started organizing. I feel as if I'm a creative person. I like clutter and piles and messes. I felt that I needed it in my life to keep my creative juices flowing, but I was so wrong.

How to fix it: My fears about creativity and clutter could not have been more wrong. As I began the organizational process I realized that instead of blocking or stifling my creativity being organized actually improved my creative process. If you're like me at all, try putting up a board for all of your ideas. With a thought board you will always be able to keep track of your ideas and still have a clutter free space.

Are you anxious about thinking about your space being clean and organized?

Why its a problem: There is a variety of reasons why you feel anxious about organizing your space. Some reasons include, you are afraid of failure, you have a need for material things, or you have a sentimental attachment to your belongings. Whatever the reason, it can be dealt with. .

How to fix it: This was a major psychological problem I have faced. I knew that being organized would save me time and help me get things done faster but I couldn't face getting rid of that old, broken CD from my high school days or the book I've never bothered to pick up and actually read. Just the thought of picking up my chaotic mess made me feel anxious. I decided that my problem was definitely sentimental. I started out with piles. There was a pile for things that I wanted to keep, things I wanted to get rid of, and things that I wasn't sure about. Check out a previous post How to Declutter Anything and Simplify Your Life if you are looking for a more in depth tutorial on this process.


I love hearing from everyone! So feel free to leave any comments, personal stories, or worries that you have in the comment section below and I'll respond as soon as possible!

If you need help organizing your space, feel free to email me at methodicalliving@yahoo.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...